Finally!

We could write a complete new series of blog posts about this sometimes painful process! After almost a year – we finally did it, the trademark is official!

The Post I’ve Been Working Toward!

I now have a batch of professionally manufactured BurpMitts™ ready to purchase! They are currently available through this website, but I will be expanding to other markets in the future.

During this process I know I made quite a few mistakes and at times did things backwards. It was a bit of a one-step-forward-two-steps-back story dotted with constant roadblocks and obstacles. But I have learned a lot, and now I know the process of how to manufacture my very own physical product. I’ve written and published books, but this is a whole new level of excitement – taking an idea for an invention through to its creation is quite an experience and takes loads of patience and persistence. I did it!

I hope my product will help many parents get through those exhausting early baby days. Being a parent is the hardest work there is.

New Start!

I now have a wonderful new manufacturer and have had a few samples made in order to finally decide which fabric I will ultimately use for the BurpMitt™. I chose an organic cotton, super absorbent fabric in a natural color. The fabric is also very soft, so it will be gentle on a baby’s skin. I have had the fabric sent to the manufacturer, had new labels made, and now we are officially in production!

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back!

Today has been a very discouraging day. My contact at the manufacturer has informed me that they cannot go forward with my project (and this time the email WAS meant for me). They have changed their production schedules to only high volume production lots of 1000 pieces or more. As the little guy, just starting out, I am only looking to produce a small batch at this point in time. My contact has been nice enough to refer me to another manufacturer who might fit my needs better. I am supposed to contact her later this week after he meets with her.

Once again, now I know why most products are Made in China.

Waiting Around….

I have received my latest prototype with comments from the manufacturer that my pattern is wrong. They also informed me that they cannot use one of the fabrics that I have chosen (my favorite one) because it is too stiff and their machines cannot do tight curves. This is another pattern issue. So I have created a new pattern. This one is much more rounded and I think it will work.

During all of my painful waiting around this summer (seems like all I have done this year is wait around), I have also created another product. It is kind of like a companion product, and will hopefully be much easier to manufacture.

By the way, the missing fabric showed up in the package the manufacturer sent me, so now I have more fabric than I could possibly need.

All I have to do now is package everything up and send it to the manufacturer and this show will be on the road again!

For Babies Who Puke!